The best matches for visual feast
Blu-ray is currently the only high-definition disc format. Its quality of movie can’t be surpassed, even equaled by other so-called HD movies, such as DVD and iTunes HD movies. Apple TV gives you access to the biggest names in entertainment, in up to 1080p and also gives tons of great HD content in a tiny package. No matter Blu-ray or Apple TV, each of them is a shining star among their peers. So matching Blu-ray with Apple TV, what will you get? You will get the fantastic visual feast. This match will give you the best video quality and the most convenient playback which makes you enjoy HD movies on large screen freely.
However, Apple reports that Apple TV supports:
Apple TV 1:
- H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
- iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p.
- MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps
(maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
Apple TV 2:
- H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
- MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per
second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
Apple TV 3:
- H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats.
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format.
Therefore, it’s obvious that Blu-ray disc or even decrypted Blu-ray can’t be supported by Apple TV. So we need a roundabout way to realize Blu-ray playback on Apple TV(3,2,1).
How to realize that play Blu-ray via Apple TV on big screen?
This roundabout way is to rip and backup Blu-ray to Apple TV suitable formats. WithPavtube BDMagic for Mac, it is easy to achieve. (Windows version is BDMagic for Windows.) It can rip and backup Blu-ray to MO4, MOV, M4V for Apple TV(3,2,1), iPhone, iPad, iTunes with original video quality. Besides Blu-ray, it also can rip other incompatible file, like DVD to Apple TV with friendly format. This app supports the newest system, like Mac OS X El Capitan, Yosemite 10.10/10.9 and Mavericks 10.9 so you can backup Blu-ray to Apple TV on any Mac system.(Blu-ray ripper review.)
– Pavtube old official address: http://www.pavtube.cn/blu-ray-ripper-mac/
– Cnet Download: http://download.cnet.com/Pavtube-BDMagic/3000-7970_4-76177782.html
Rip and backup Blu-ray to Apple TV with optimized format
Step 1. Load Blu-ray disc
Run Pavtube BDMagic for Mac on your Mac and click the file icon to import your Blu-ray disc.
Step 2. Select optimized format for Apple TV
Click the format bar to follow “Apple TV” and “Apple TV 3 1080P Dolby Digital Pass-through (*.m4v).” as the output format for Apple TV 3. This format preserves 5.1 sound and 1080p resolution.
Step 3. Customize profile settings
Click “Settings” button to get to the “Profile Settings” interface where you’re allowed to adjust parameters such as bitrate, frame rate and channels according to your need. You can set 1080p in size and frame rate as 30 but if you want to get a smaller size, you can down the frame rate as a smaller number, like 23.
Step 4. Start conversion from Blu-ray to Apple TV
Click the red button “Convert” on the main interface to start to rip Blu-ray to Apple TV process.
Sync ripped Blu-ray to iTunes and stream it on Apple TV(3,2,1)
Run iTunes on your Mac and Click “File” and “Add File to Library” to add the converted Blu-ray movie to iTunes library. And then stream it to your Apple TV. And then you can watch Blu-ray movie by connecting your Apple TV to your HD TV with a HDMI cable. If you’re out for traveling a lot, you can also enjoy them on your iDevices such as an iPhone and iPad. Then your trip will be full of pleasures.
If you followed all the steps above, now you should be able to enjoy visual feast on big screen.
- How do I play DVDs through Apple TV on my HD TV via Mac?
- Can I Keep My iTunes Rentals Forever on Apple TV to Watch Anytime?
- Watch 2D/3D Blu-ray Movies on 3D LG TV in side-by-side 3D MP4/MKV formats
- How to Backup Blu-ray to WD External HDD for viewing?
- How to Backup DVD to Synology NAS for Streaming on iPhone/iPad/Tablet/PS4